Gibson ES-335 Dot P-90 - Vintage Burst
The first semi-hollowbody electric guitar of its kind, the historic Gibson ES-335 is considered a semi-hollowbody standard even today. With impeccable sound across a wide range of tonal options, the '335 can be found in the hands of jazz, blues, and rock players all over the globe. For 2019, Gibson brings the ES-335 P-90 to you with all the same exquisite craftsmanship and detailed appointments that made the original a hit when it was introduced in 1958. It features a satisfyingly rounded "C" neck profile that harkens back to Gibson's vaunted instruments of the late 1950s; but instead of the PAF humbucking pickups issued on the original, this '335 is spec'd with a pair of MHS P-90 single-coils, along with Memphis tone circuitry, giving you a massive range of tonal options.
Nobody makes a semi-hollowbody guitar like Gibson. This superb ES-335 P-90 is handcrafted for quality craftsmanship you can count on, and from a city that knows how the blues should sound. Carefully selected maple and poplar body tonewoods, spruce top bracing, and its dual f-hole thinline acoustic body cavity with maple center block give the Gibson Memphis ES-335 its unmistakable tone and sustain.
Comfort and playability were two of Gibson's primary concerns when they were designing the ES-335 P-90. You'll be delighted at how this guitar's rounded-C neck profile comfortably fills your hand in just the right way. For your playing pleasure, the rosewood fingerboard is buffed to silky smoothness and the frets are dressed to perfection using a Plek Pro machine for optimized playability. Typically reserved for top-dollar custom guitars, this process levels the frets with pinpoint precision, providing you with the most playable fretboard you're likely to own.
The P-90 offers a unique tonal palette that is distinct from — and complements — humbuckers and traditional single-coils. Gibson's first successful single-coil pickup, the P-90 can be heard on countless classic recordings. With its biting treble and high output, the P-90 cleans up nicely when you roll back your guitar's volume pot. It's an amazingly versatile pickup with its own brand of grit — a bit brighter, leaner, and less refined than a humbucker, and almost as hot.
Hit your amp hard, and the P-90 really wails. Plugged into a proper high-gain tube amp, you can elicit grind, sizzle, and bark that would be impossible with humbuckers — or with other single-coils, for that matter. To hear P-90s brilliantly deployed in historical context, check out Santana's fiery Woodstock performance, The Who's masterful Live at Leeds album — or any one of dozens of Beatles tunes. The pickups on the Gibson Memphis ES-335 P-90 are wired in reverse polarity for hum cancellation when both are engaged.
Gibson Memphis ES-335 P-90 2019 Features:
- Classic semi-hollowbody electric guitar
- 3-Ply maple/poplar/maple body construction
- Mahogany set neck, rounded-C profile
- Rosewood fingerboard with 22 frets and Pearloid Dot markers
- Plek'd frets for effortless playability
- ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic bridge with plated brass saddles
- Zinc die-cast Stopbar with locking studs
- Grover Rotomatic tuning machines with Kidney buttons
- 687" bone nut, 24.75" scale length
- Single-coil pickups: MHS P-90 Rhythm, MHS P-90 Lead (reverse polarity)
- 2 Volume, 2 Tone controls, 3-way pickup selector toggle switch
- Memphis Tone Circuit, handwired with 500K potentiometers and Orange Drop capacitors
- Nickel hardware; gold Top Hat knobs
- Body Type: Hollowbody, Maple Centerblock
- Body Shape: ES-355
- Left-/Right-handed: Right-handed
- Number of Strings: 6
- Body Material: 3-ply Maple/Poplar/Maple
- Top Material: 3-ply Maple/Poplar/Maple
- Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Color: Vintage Burst
- Neck Material: Quartersawn Mahogany
- Neck Shape: Rounded C
- Radius: 12"
- Fingerboard Material: Rosewood
- Fingerboard Inlay: Pearloid Dots
- Number of Frets: 22
- Scale Length: 75"
- Nut Width: 687"
- Nut Material: Bone
- Bridge/Tailpiece: ABR-1 Bridge with Nickel-plated Brass Saddles, Die-cast Zinc Stopbar
- Tuners: Grover Rotomatics
- Neck Pickup: MHS P-90 Rhythm Single-coil
- Bridge Pickup: MHS P-90 Lead Reverse Polarity Single-coil
- Controls: 2 x volume, 2 x tone, 3-way toggle pickup switch
- Case Included: Hardshell Case