Taylor 414ce-R - Rosewood Back and Sides, V-class Bracing
Indian rosewood is one of the most popular and musically expressive tonewoods in the world. Among Taylor’s solid-wood guitars, rosewood is normally reserved for the 700, 800 and 900 Series, but the 400 Rosewoods now bring rosewood - with lustrous gloss finishes - into a more accessible price range. Taylor's Grand Auditorium shape and rosewood's balanced, broad sonic range and complexity - and of course Taylor's renown playability - result in a guitar that will be a joy to play in a variety of scenarios for a lifetime. All 400 Series instruments ship in a deluxe hard shell case made by Taylor for optimal fit and protection.
A Taylor original, the Grand Auditorium helped establish the Taylor acoustic sound. The popular body style makes for a versatile guitar that yields ample volume in response to light fingerpicking, and reacts to medium strumming and flatpicking with a clear, balanced sound across the tonal spectrum. If you want a great all-purpose guitar, the GA is an excellent choice.
Tone Wood Pairing
A guitar's top is the primary filter and distributor of vibrating string energy through the guitar, which means it has a huge impact on its sound. Sitka Spruce is the most prevalent guitar top wood of the modern era. It blends stiffness and elasticity in just the right proportions which translates into broad dynamic range with crisp articulation. Solid Indian rosewood back and sides complement the Sitka top with sound that's made it one of the most popular tone woods ever. Rosewood produces the strongest bass response among the tone woods commonly used for guitars, with a slightly scooped midrange. Rosewood's sweeping frequency range - deep lows that assert a throaty growl with sparkling highs - rings out with bell-like, high-fidelity clarity. It yields a full-range acoustic voice with complex overtones and extended sustain.
Taylor's ES2 is a revolutionary pickup design that delivers the latest in Taylor’s ongoing innovation in acoustic guitar amplification. The heart of the Expression System 2 is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated pickup sensors. The location of the sensors enables a more dynamic range of acoustic sound to be captured than ever before.
Together with Taylor’s custom-designed “professional audio”-grade preamp, this system produces exceptional amplified tone and responsiveness. On stage through a PA, plugged into your favorite acoustic amplifier, or direct into recording software, the Expression System 2 faithfully conveys the voice of your Taylor guitar. The Taylor Expression System 2 operates through a proprietary 9-volt battery compartment and easy-to-use volume, bass and treble controls.
What sets Taylor Guitars apart? Unmatched build quality, the most stable and playable necks, a vast array of tonal options, eco-conscious and ethically-sourced raw materials, and a lifetime of service and support.
- Body type: Taylor Grand Concert
- Cutaway: Yes - Venetian
- Top wood: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Back & sides: Solid Indian Rosewood
- Bracing pattern: Taylor Performance Bracing (Standard III with Relief Rout)
- Body finish: Gloss 6.0
- Orientation: Right-Handed
- Neck shape: Standard Taylor Profile
- Nut width: 1-3/4" (44.5mm)
- Fingerboard: Genuine African Ebony
- Neck wood: Tropical Mahogany
- Scale length: 25-1/2"
- Number of frets: 20
- Neck finish: Satin
- Pickup/preamp: Expression System 2 "professional audio"-grade
- Brand: Taylor
- Configuration: Behind-the-Saddle Transducer with Adjustable Sensors
- Preamp EQ: Volume, Bass, Treble
- Feedback filter: Onboard Phase Switch
- Tuner: None
- Headstock overlay: Indian Rosewood
- Tuning machines: Taylor Nickel Tuners with Nickel Buttons
- Bridge: Genuine African Ebony
- Saddle & nut: Micarta "Wave" Saddle; Tusq Nut
- Number of strings: 6
- Special features: Taylor New Technology ("NT") Neck System
- Case: Taylor Deluxe Hard Shell Case
- Accessories: None
- Country of origin: USA
- String Type: Steel
- Number of Strings: 6
- Body Shape: Grand Auditorium
- Left-/Right-handed: Right-handed
- Color: Natural
- Finish: Gloss
- Top Wood: Sitka Spruce
- Back & Sides Wood: Indian Rosewood
- Body Bracing: V-Class
- Binding: Black Plastic
- Neck Wood: Tropical Mahogany
- Fingerboard Material: West African Ebony
- Fingerboard Inlay: Renaissance
- Number of Frets: 20
- Scale Length: 5"
- Tuning Machines: Taylor Nickel, 17:1 ratio
- Bridge Material: West African Ebony
- Nut/Saddle Material: Black Graphite/Micarta
- Nut Width: 75"
- Electronics: ES2
- Strings: Elixir Phosphor Bronze Light
- Case Included: Hardshell Case
- Body Length: 20"
- Body Width: 16"
- Body Depth: 62"